Postings

How do I “block” an email address on iCloud?

Mar

Q:

How do I block an email address on iCloud?

A:

iCloud LogoLike my other post regarding “blocking” email addresses on MobileMe, what I’m going to describe isn’t really blocking in the truest sense of the word. Technically, we are using a server side rule to perform this function and you wouldn’t want to use something like this for a large amount of emails. For that we would recommend a good bayesian Junk mail filter like SpamSeive. But this is an explanation of how to make certain that emails from your ex- (boss, boyfriend, girlfriend, assistant) don’t reach your inbox.

For this example, as mentioned, we are going to be setting up a server side rule to filter a given email address from your Inbox to your Trash folder. This doesn’t delete the message, but it makes it so that it isn’t notifying you of its presence like other new messages. In addition, you can perform a similar function with most email clients, however, as more people are carrying around multiple devices that are accessing their email, it is becoming more important to set up rules like this on servers so that your first line of defense (your mail server, in this case MobileMe) is handling the filtering rather than a later line of defense like a Mail client. In addition, this filter will run independent of your devices so that it isn’t contingent on having your laptop or desktop on to filter your content.

We get requests like this a lot and we are slowly going to be posting how to do things like this which will hopefully empower our users (and clients). However, as always, if you should need assistance, never hesitate to ASK.

Requirements:
  • iCloud email account
  • Email address of the individual you would like to block
  • Pretty much any full web browser…

NOTE #1: We’ve found some issues with Chrome, but have verified that this procedure works with Firefox and Safari.

NOTE #2: The iCloud website will not load on iOS devices (iPhones/iPads/iPod touch), you must follow this procedure on a full web browser in Windows or OS X

Procedure:
  1. Click THIS LINK to access the iCloud website.
  2. Login using your iCloud username and password.
  3. Access the web based iCloud email application by clicking the “Mail” icon.
    iCloud Mail Icon
  4. Click the “Preferences” icon in the lower-left corner of the Webmail application and select “Rules” from the pull-down menu.
    rules-lowerleft
  5. The “Rules” Preference panel will appear.
    iCloud Rules Preference Panel
  6. Select the “Add a Rule” button in the upper right hand corner of the “Rules” preference panel.
    Add a rule button.
  7. Select “is from” in the “If a message” pull-down menu. Enter the address of the individual whose messages you want moved out of your inbox automatically. Choose the “Move to Folder” option in the “Then” pull down menu and choose the “Trash” folder in the menu below the “Then” pull-down menu.
    iCloud Rule Setup Options
  8. A new line item will appear in the “Rules” preference panel stating that it will “Move messages from” the given address “to the Trash”.
    iCloud Rules Preference Panel After Rule Creation
  9. Continue to add additional rules for additional addresses. Click the “Done” button when finished adding addresses.
  10. Note that any message coming into your account that matches the rules entered by the user now go directly to the “Trash” folder as prescribed and don’t clutter up your Inbox.
  11. That’s it. If you have problems with this procedure and it isn’t working correctly make sure you check to make certain there weren’t any typographical errors with the email address entered into the rule.

20 Comments for this entry

Wendy Bjerke
October 15th, 2012 on 2:15 pm

Your article is AWESOME!! Very informative and helpful!! Thanks!! :)

Greg M.
    October 15th, 2012 on 2:56 pm

I’m very glad you found it helpful. Enjoy!

Hymar Maya
December 15th, 2012 on 10:08 am

Excelent article , thanks

Greg M.
    December 17th, 2012 on 1:41 pm

I’m glad it helped. Cheers!

Charlene
July 25th, 2013 on 5:37 am

How do I stop someone who manages to send me a you tube mail that stole my contact list and is sending emails in my name now to my contact list people.
Is this a change my change my settings thing.
I did make a rule to block this person but the you tube already has taken them names
On my list and how do I block them.

Greg M.
    July 25th, 2013 on 9:22 am

Charlene, it sounds like someone has already harvested your contact list and has those email addresses (including yours) in a database somewhere. Unfortunately, once that happens, there are very few things you can do to stop them from using your email address for this nefarious purpose.

Generally speaking, the only fail safe way to work through this is to change your email address and then notify your entire contact list that any email sent from your old email address should be considered fraudulent and they should redirect messages from that old email address to their junk mail folder. Unfortunately, most people have so many service based accounts tied into an email address that doing something like this can be problematic, but this is the one cost effective way to resolve this issue. Just make sure whatever service you end up using (if you go this route) that you use a good strong password (at least 8 characters, combination of capital and lower-case letters, with numbers and symbols).

The second way to handle this is to just ignore it and eventually, as long as the people in your contact list have strong passwords, the spammers won’t be able to get into their webmail accounts and do the same thing to them as they did to you. Eventually it will dwindle down and eventually (for the most part) stop.

The third way (the most costly way) is the legal route, where forensic data experts, lawyers and courts get involved. If there were monetary damages as a result of the breach with YouTube, then it might be worth it to investigate something like this. Forensic Data experts can usually tell you where the emails originated from at which point (if it is in the US) you might have legal recourse. If it is outside of the US, then it will be very costly to pursue the issue and you are left with options 1 and 2.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you, but once you are on one of these spam lists, unfortunately, it is almost impossible to get off of it. My best advice is to always have different strong passwords on your web based services (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter). That way these people can’t use brute force techniques to break into your accounts and cause all of these problems. I also advise users to create new user accounts and not use global sign-on methods via Facebook linking or Google account linking. All of these linked authentication methods may be convenient in the short term, but if someone gets into your Google account, they can see the various services you have used your Google account to log in with and they can wreak havoc in those services as well as your Google account.

Again, I wish there was a better way to handle something like this, but unfortunately the web is the wild west and once your address is on a database somewhere it is almost impossible to keep it from being used for a bad purpose.

Thanks for your comment and I hope this information has helped.

Clifton Davault
October 24th, 2013 on 12:54 pm

The procedure in this article doesn’t work for my iPad 4; there is no mail icon ad described.

Greg M.
    October 24th, 2013 on 1:25 pm

Hi there Clifton, thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, this procedure must be done on a Desktop Computer browser (Safari/Firefox/Chrome) and not on an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. Thanks again for your comment.

Jennifer
November 27th, 2013 on 10:37 am

Will this keep the iMessage from coming to my iPhone? Or will I still receive the message that way?

Thanks!

Greg M.
    November 27th, 2013 on 10:49 am

Hi there Jennifer, this article is specifically related to ways of redirecting undesirable email messages in an iCloud account. For blocking iMessages from a particular user, you would want to have a look here.

Jamie Campbell
January 1st, 2014 on 8:51 pm

Thank you…. Great to have rules now if we can just block for real

Greg M.
    January 2nd, 2014 on 8:35 am

Agreed. I’ve submitted that to Apple’s feedback site but the more people that submit it, the better the possibility that we may actually see it.

Thanks for your comment!

adnan
March 6th, 2014 on 10:24 pm

Hi,

It was really a very helpful article for me. Thank you so much for it.

Greg M.
    March 7th, 2014 on 11:43 am

I’m glad it was helpful. Thanks so much for your comment.

Jessi
May 12th, 2014 on 11:41 am

I have no option for preferences or to find anything named rules. Im running firefox.Please help

Greg M.
    May 12th, 2014 on 12:22 pm

Jessi, I’ve updated this article to reflect the current webmail application. The “Preferences” menu is now the gear in the lower-left of the page instead of the upper-right. You will find the “Rules” menu item in there. Everything else is basically the same. Thanks for the heads up and best of luck.

Connor
July 19th, 2014 on 8:52 pm

Thanks that really helped me cause this email kept spamming me…

Greg M.
    July 21st, 2014 on 10:07 am

Hi there Connor, I’m glad it helped you. Thanks for the feedback.

Naniesam
December 7th, 2014 on 1:20 am

I can’t make it to block someone
email me on icloud through iphone4.
It’s i must sign in my icloud acc at ipad
To i can follow the flow to block the email??
Please help me how??

Greg M.
    December 8th, 2014 on 9:43 am

Hi there, this process can only be done with a desktop class browser. Here are Apple’s list of supported browsers for use with the iCloud web interface:

Windows: